Sunday, October 12, 2014

Entry #10: What poetry did for me.


Now, most people might think of poetry as beautiful, boring, or something that is just confusing. Well just like every thing else in this world, anything can be all of those at the same time. A piece of poetry can be delightful, engaging, or just so complex that you question if the author intended this labyrinth of writing to actually have any in-depth meaning to it. 



That's all fine to keep in mind. Because trying to find out what any writing means is the key part in learning about whatever has been written and how you may apply it to yourself. That's what poetry has been for me. It has served as an opportunity for me to analyze something that has so many layers of possible meanings and interpretations.

 Trying to hone that skill of analyzing has been my greatest goal. But, this kind of mindset shouldn't only be withheld to writings, you can easily implement it to any part of your life. Socializing, communicating, observing and better appreciating things because you are consciously aware of them more. For instance, I actually enjoy movies and TV shows far more than I ever had before I learned the importance of poetry. I was able to enjoy things like that more because I thought of the purpose and meaning behind everything I watched and imagined it in written words before it was illustrated or acted out in scenes. Pretty much rhetoric lessons like I am learning in my Eng101 class. Being aware of the author's intentions can help you understand and enjoy whatever they created better.

Ultimately, poetry has served as a key to unlocking a better part of my mind that I am now able to use to my advantage. It feels like a door being locked to unforeseen potentials. Through poetry I have experienced some of the most important life epiphanies I will ever have, and maybe you can too if you are willing to give it a try. If poetry isn't for you, that's okay. Just try finding the key that fits that lock. 
 

3 comments:

  1. "We've taken all the right steps
    taken all the right steps but
    which doors open with our keys?"

    Sorry I had to do it. I wonder what the key is that unlocks my door sometimes. Or what door I can unlock with the key I already have. Maybe what poetry is for you is what music is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry, to me, is the most beautiful way to express your thoughts. Sometimes you can say more through a metaphor than you can with straight honest words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephan--Good new entries. Interesting ideas and topics, and you do a pretty good job developing and supporting them.

    ReplyDelete