Sunday, October 12, 2014

Entry #8: Do we really give a flying care about birthdays?

Do we really acknowledge birthdays and appreciate them for what they really are? Or do we simply follow tradition and routine and continue with what we observe only? Are birthdays even important to most of us?

Absolutely we think it's important; to indulge ourselves, be happy to attend someone else's birthday, or be spoiled with delightful events. That's all absolutely fair game. But, I don't think we look at it on a deeper level like we really should...

Birthdays are the single time of a year in which you might be praised for simply being conceived. How freaking easy and sweet is that? We are being commended on the sole fact that we exist.
Relatives, friends, significant others may just go out of their way to purchase something for you, write you a letter, or send a message to let you know they appreciate you being alive on this day. They may celebrate it in massive ceremonies, or maybe perhaps your cup of tea is to spend it with a best friend or a significant other. Either way, you have at least one person acknowledging the importance of your birth.

Perhaps if we consciously thought about it like that, more people would appreciate it on a greater level instead of buying gifts out of heartless obligation, because that does happen. I am pretty sure we all have bought something for someone out of pure guilt or because we felt like we "had to".

Well, one warm thought to keep in mind is that when someone wishes you a "happy birthday" it really translates into "I am thankful you came into existence on this day." It is well advised that when their birthday comes around that you should say it with the same amount of love.

2 comments:

  1. To be honest, I've always felt like my birthday was just another day in my life. It's not really something I consider special. I enjoyed my birthday this year because I got to spend it at the movies with you. I took everyone out the following Saturday as well but I just used my birthday as an excuse to get us all together.

    I do buy other people gifts on their birthdays because I care about them and I am thankful for their existence. But then again, I enjoy buying someone a thing because I like them and I'm happy to be their friend.

    ReplyDelete